The ballistic pendulum allows determination of the velocity of a projectile through measuring mass and angle of deflection of the arm.
See the Product Description for this item's included accessories.
See the Buying Guide for this item's required, recommended, and additional accessories.
This version of the Ballistics Pendulum is for those who already have a PASCO Projectile Launcher.
- Repeatable: The three velocity settings on the Projectile Launcher produce consistent velocities.
- Accuracy: The 0-80° angle measurement scale resolves to 1/2°, leading to experimental results within 2.5% of predicted values.
- Compact Storage: Four units can be stored in the same space as one older-style ballistic pendulum.
- Removable Pendulum: Remove the pendulum to determine its mass and center of mass. It can swing freely so students can determine its rotational inertia. Mount the pendulum backwards so the ball bounces away for elastic collision experiments.
- Vary Ball and Pendulum Mass: Two 50 g masses can be added to the pendulum, and two steel and two plastic balls are included.
- Projectile Launcher: Mount the Projectile Launcher on the other side of the base, and students have access to all the accessories that come with the Short Range Projectile Launcher (ME-6800).
- Unique Angle Measurement: The PASCO Ballistic Pendulum pushes a low friction, low mass pointer to the highest point. It remains there, permitting an accurate measurement.
- Add Masses: Two 50 g masses can be added to the pendulum, and two steel and two plastic balls are included.
- Ballistic Pendulum -- Approximate Method
- Ballistic Pendulum -- Exact Method
- Demo: Elastic/Inelastic Collisions
How It Works
- A projectile is fired into a pendulum, causing it to rise.
- Using the projectile mass, the pendulum mass and the rise in pendulum height, students can calculate the gravitational potential energy of the system.
- Since the potential energy is equal to the pendulum’s kinetic energy at the lowest point, students can calculate the speed of the pendulum at impact.
- Applying the Law of Conservation of Momentum, the projectile’s speed is easily calculated.
- 1x Ballistic Pendulum and Base
- 2x 2.5 cm Plastic Balls
- 2x 2.5 cm Steel Balls
- 2x Masses
- 1x 2-D Collision Accessory
- 2x Nylon Washers
- 2x Thumbscrews
- 1x Safety Glasses (2 pairs)
- 1x Operations and Experiment Manual
|Requires One Of These||P/N||Price|
|Projectile Launcher (Long Range)||ME-6801||$385|
|Spherical Mass Set||ME-8968||$62|
|Large C Clamp (6 Pack)||SE-7285||$41|
PASCO’s Projectile Launchers provide an exciting, hands-on method for students to experiment with projectile motion. Each of our affordable launchers is precision engineered to produce highly accurate and repeatable results with every launch. This page compares capabilities, size, and applications for our Projectile Launchers and Ballistics.
|Ballistic Pendulum Manual||English||1.14 MB|