Features 23 core lab activities that cover the fundamental concepts of Force & Motion, Energy Transfer, Electricity & Circuits, Fluids and more.
Transfer of Energy in Chemical Reactions
Use a fast response temperature sensor and an absolute pressure sensor to measure the change in temperature of an endothermic reaction and the temperature and pressure change of an exothermic reaction.
In this activity, students feel the energy transfer produced by different chemical reactions. At the same time, the temperature and pressure sensors record a quantitative measurement. As thermal energy is added, the temperature will rise, and as thermal energy is removed, the temperature will drop. As the reaction consumes oxygen from the air in a closed flask system, the pressure will decrease.
Students investigate endothermic and exothermic reactions while they:
- Recognize that heat—the transfer of energy—can help to classify chemical reactions
- Recognize that thermal energy is either absorbed (endothermic) or is released (exothermic) during the reaction
- Interpret information about the reactant (oxygen) in the exothermic chemical reaction by exploring a pressure versus time graph
- Interpret information about the thermal energy generated during chemical reactions by exploring a temperature vs. time graph
- Gain skills and confidence in using scientific measurement tools, the temperature and pressure sensors, as well as the graphing capability of a computer to represent and analyze data
Students gain experience conducting the following procedures:
- Setting up the equipment and work area to measure the change in temperature of an endothermic reaction and the temperature and pressure change of an exothermic reaction
- Measuring the change in temperature during the reaction of Alka-Seltzer® tablets and water
- Measuring the change in temperature and pressure during the reaction of a chemical hot- pack and air
Sensors / Equipment Used:
Allows students to measure Temperature, pH/ISE/ORP, Absolute Pressure & Voltage in one sensor. For use with PASPORT Interfaces.
Your Bundle Options:
Equipment bundle for teaching 23 Middle School Physical Science Teacher Guide labs.
This bundle contains the probeware needed to perform all 49 lab activities in the Middle School Science through Inquiry lab manual.