Featured in PASCO’s Chemistry through Inquiry Teacher Guide
Features over 25 inquiry based labs covering the fundamental concepts of lab skills, structure & properties of matter, chemical reactions and more.
Rates of Reactions
Use an absolute pressure sensor to determine the effect of temperature, concentration, and surface area on the rate of a chemical reaction by measuring changes in absolute pressure as a reaction proceeds.
Determine the effect of temperature, concentration, and surface area on the rate of a chemical reaction. Through this investigation, students:
- Learn the effects of temperature, concentration, and particle size on the rate at which a chemical reaction occurs.
- Measure changes in absolute pressure as a reaction proceeds.
Students conduct the following procedures:
- Record the absolute pressure as magnesium ribbon reacts with hydrochloric acid (HCl) at different temperatures.
- Record the absolute pressure as magnesium powder reacts with HCl.
- Record the absolute pressure as magnesium ribbon reacts with different concentrations of HCl.
- Determine the rates of the reaction between magnesium and HCl for the different reaction parameters.
- Draw conclusions about how temperature, surface area, and concentration effect the rate at which magnesium reacts with HCl.
Sensors / Equipment Used:
PASPORT Chemistry Sensor
Allows students to measure Temperature, pH/ISE/ORP, Absolute Pressure & Voltage in one sensor. For use with PASPORT Interfaces.
PASPORT Sensor Extension Cable
Allows an additional two meter length extension on all PASPORT sensors.
Test tube, 20-mm × 150-mm - 3
Test tube rack
One-hole rubber stopper to fit test tube
4.0 M Hydrochloric acid - 5 mL
2.0 M Hydrochloric acid - 5 mL
1.0 M Hydrochloric acid - 20 mL
0.1 M Hydrochloric acid - 5 mL
Warm and cold water baths - One per class
Magnesium ribbon, 1-cm pieces - 18
Magnesium powder - 0.05 g
Your Bundle Options:
A sensor bundle specifically designed to get you started using probeware in your chemistry lab. Also: perform 22 Lab Activities from Chemistry through Inquiry teacher guide.
Contains the sensors and probes needed to perform all 17 experiments in the Advanced Chemistry Teacher Guide and all 25 labs in the Chemistry through Inquiry Guide.