Featured in PASCO’s College Environmental Science Instructor Guide
College Instructor edition with experiments covering introductory and general environmental science topics.
Use My World GIS to predict which regions of the world satisfy the basic requirements of temperature, salinity, and water depth for coral reef growth.
**Requires My World GIS License.
In this activity, students predict which regions worldwide satisfy the basic requirements of temperature, salinity, and water depth for coral reef growth. They also:
- Compare their predicted habitat locations with the actual locations of coral reefs they find using available resources.
- Research threats to coral reefs and ways scientists have found to counter them.
Students gain experience conducting the following procedures:
- Using the databases in My World GIS™ to locate environments suitable for coral reefs.
- Comparing the locations of actual coral reefs, found using available resources including the Internet, to those identified as suitable for coral reefs using My World GIS.
- Using available resources, including the Internet, to list threats to coral reefs, as well as to identify ways people are trying to reduce or eliminate these problems and repair the damage they've caused.
Computer with access to the Internet
Reference books containing information about coral reefs - Several
The Associated Bundle:
Contains the probeware needed to perform all 26 experiments in the College Environmental Science instructor guide.