Featured in PASCO’s Chemistry through Inquiry Teacher Guide
Features over 25 inquiry based labs covering the fundamental concepts of lab skills, structure & properties of matter, chemical reactions and more.
Determine the correct number of significant figures to include when reporting a measurement or a calculated value based upon measurements.
Determine the correct number of significant figures to include when reporting a measurement or a calculated value based upon measurements. Through this investigation, students:
- Explain the difference between precision and accuracy.
- Rank the precision of different instruments.
- Record the values of length and volume measurements to the proper number of significant figures.
- Record the result of a calculation utilizing measurements to the proper number of significant figures.
Students conduct the following procedures:
- Use meter sticks with various scales to record the dimensions of different objects to the proper number of significant figures.
- Use recorded measurements to calculate volumes (multiplication and addition) and report the results with the correct number of significant figures.
Sensors / Equipment Used:
Significant Figures Set - Single
The series of activities included in the Significant Figure Set emphasizes the connection between measurements and significant figures. Single set.
Graduated cylinder, 10-mL
Graduated cylinder, 100-mL
The Associated Bundle:
Contains the sensors and probes needed to perform all 17 experiments in the Advanced Chemistry Teacher Guide and all 25 labs in the Chemistry through Inquiry Guide.