The Heat Engine and Gas Law Apparatus enables students to perform quantitative Ideal Gas Law experiments, while exploring a functional heat engine. A Rotary Motion Sensor and Pressure Sensor can be added to graph heat engine cycles, determine actual efficiency, and more!
- Air chamber can be immersed in hot or cold water
- Two ports for connecting the air chamber tubing or a Low Pressure Sensor
- Ultra-low friction graphite piston
- Millimeter scale measures piston displacement
- Locking screw secures piston for fixed volumes
- Precision-bore Pyrex cylinder with protective plastic shield
- Two port shut-off valves
- Rod clamp for mounting to rods or stands
- Pascal’s Principle
- Heat Engine Cycles
- Charles’ Law Experiment
- Combined Gas Law Experiment (Gay-Lussac’s)
- The Mass Lifting Heat Engine Experiment
- Add a mass to the platform for work experiments
How It Works
Heat Engine Cycle:
- When the air chamber is moved from the cold water bath to the hot bath, the piston rises, lifting the 200 g mass to demonstrate work. The mass is removed, and the air chamber is returned to the cold bath, closing the isobaric/isothermal cycle.
- The heat engine cycle is plotted in real time using a Pressure vs. Volume graph.
- Pressure in the cylinder is measured by a pressure sensor. Volume is measured by tracking the piston's position with a rotary motion or motion sensor. Temperatures of the hot and cold baths are recorded using temperature sensors.
- Students compare the area inside the P-V cycle to the actual work done while lifting the weight to determine how the efficiency of their heat engine compares to the theoretical maximum.
- 1x Heat Engine
- 1x Air Chamber
- 1x Rubber Stopper with hole
- 1x Tubing with Quick-Connect Fittings
- 1x Shut-Off Valve
- 1x 200 g Mass
|Piston diameter||32.5 mm|
|Maximum piston displacement||≈10 cm|
This product requires PASCO software for data collection and analysis. We recommend the following option(s). For more information on which is right for your classroom, see our Software Comparison: SPARKvue vs. Capstone »
This product requires a PASCO Interface to connect to your computer or device. We recommend the following option(s). For a breakdown of features, capabilities, and additional options, see our Interface Comparison Guide »
|Heat Engine Accessory||TD-8581A||$52|
|Heat Engine/Gas Law Apparatus manual||English||682.52 KB|