With a unique low friction and open design, the gyroscope allows studies of rotational motion.
See the Buying Guide for this item's required, recommended, and additional accessories.
The low friction, open design of PASCO's Demonstration Gyroscope enables rotational motion studies that were previously impossible with commercial units. The completely open design lets students stop precession by grabbing the vertical shaft, causing the Gyroscope to dip. Rotational mathematics can predict the dipping motion, but with PASCO's Gyroscope it can finally be confirmed.
- Low Friction: The disk takes almost 6 minutes to slow to half of its original speed due to low-friction bearings in the gyroscope axle and vertical shaft.
- Accurate Angle Indicator: Measures from 30° to 140° and is easily read to the nearest degree. A retractable stop acts as a marker during experiments.
- Easy Timing: Low rotation speeds allow measurement of angular speed by counting revolutions and using a stopwatch.
- Easy Balancing: Two counterweights allow coarse and fine balance adjustment.
- Large Inertia Disk: With the large rotational inertia of the disk, PASCO’s gyroscope generates precession rates similar to smaller, enclosed gyroscopes. The slow rotation speed of PASCO’s disk lets students study fast as well as slow precession and use a stopwatch to make measurements.
How It Works
The disk is spun by wrapping a string around the pulley and pulling. Or the disks can be spun by hand. Add mass to either end of the gyroscope and it responds with a predictable precession. Many features make this an exceptional demonstration tool for rotational motion concepts.
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD!
Small parts. Not for children under 3 years.
|Gyroscope Disk and Mass||ME-8961||$329|
|A-Base Rotational Adapter||CI-6690||$72|
|Gyroscope Mounting Bracket for Rotary Motion Sensor||ME-8963||$149|
|Rotary Motion Sensor||CI-6538||$200|
|Gyroscope 3 Axis Manual||English - 205.80 KB|