The study of circular motion traditionally involves examining relationships between centripetal force, velocity, radius and mass. However, these relationships are difficult to observe using traditional physics apparatus. One common experiment involves the swinging of rubber stoppers over a student’s head. The Centripetal Force Apparatus combines the “swinging mass” approach with sensors and a high-quality electric motor to create a system that allows students to discover these relationships empirically.
- Stable Frame: The metal frame can be easily attached to a ring stand using the included clamp. The frame may also be attached to a tabletop with a large table clamp.
- High Quality Motor: Will withstand years of student use.
- Computer-based Measurements: The Force Sensor and photogate facilitate accurate and repeatable measurements of force, angular velocity and tangential velocity.
- Centripetal Force versus Velocity
- Centripetal Force versus Mass
- Centripetal Force versus Radius
How It Works
The rotating arm features a groove with two captured masses along its length. One of the masses is free to move along the length of the groove. The free mass is connected to a small cable that runs under a pulley in the center of the arm and up to a Force Sensor. A ball-bearing swivel is used to ensure the cable does not tangle as the arm rotates. The other mass is placed the same distance from the center as the free mass, thereby balancing the arm. A flag attached to the bottom of the fixed mass passes through the photogate once per revolution, allowing a calculation to be made of the angular and tangential velocity of the mass.
- 1x Frame with Mounted 12 VDC Electric Motor
- 1x Connecting Cable
- 1x Ball-Bearing Swivel
- 1x Connecting Hardware for Photogate
- 1x Mass Holder for Free Mass
- 1x Mass Holder for Fixed Mass
- 2x 5 g Mass
- 2x 10 g Mass
- 2x 20 g Mass
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD!
Small parts. Not for children under 3 years.
|1x Force Sensor||--||--|
|1x Photogate Head||--||--|
|1x Triple Output Power Supply||SE-8587||$255|
|1x Large Rod Base||ME-8735||$95|
|1x 45 cm Stainless Steel Rod||ME-8736||$26|
|1x 120 cm Stainless Steel Rod||ME-8741||$37|
|Centripetal Force Apparatus Manual||English - 350.07 KB|