This Advanced System adds accessories to the Basic Microwave Optics System, enabling students to perform Brewster’s Angle and Bragg Diffraction experiments.
- 1x Microwave Optics: Basic System
- 1x Microwave Accessory Package
See the Buying Guide for this item's required, recommended, and additional accessories.
The Microwave Optics Advantage
The large 3 cm wavelength makes it easy to understand and visualize electromagnetic wave interactions. Interference and diffraction slits are several centimeters wide, and polarizers are slotted sheets of stainless steel.
The heart of the Microwave Optics System is the Gunn Diode Transmitter and receiver. The transmitter is a low-voltage source of linearly polarized microwaves (10.5 GHz, 15 mW). The receiver has a built-in amplifier, as well as a variable sensitivity scale, ensuring accurate data for even the lowest intensity measurements.
Optics and Waves
Most traditional optics experiments can be performed with this Microwave Optics System: from determining the laws of reflection and refraction to investigating polarization effects to examining the phenomena of diffraction and double-slit interference. Basic wave experiments can also be performed. Students can investigate standing waves between two reflectors, locating nodes and antinodes. Combining these experiments can establish a clear parallel between electromagnetic wave interactions and mechanical wave theory.
- Diffraction Slit Hardware: Spacers and holders for performing interference experiments.
- Ethafoam® Prism with Styrene Pellets: Used for refraction of microwaves. The index of refraction of styrene is determined.
- Rotating Mounts: The transmitter and receiver rotate through a full 360° (an important feature for polarization experiments).
- Gunn Diode Transmitter: A stable, low-voltage source of linearly polarized microwaves (10.5 GHz; 15 mW).
- 18 cm High Mounts: Minimize tabletop reflections for improved accuracy.
- Receiver with a Built-in Amplifier: Variable sensitivity ensures clear data, even for low-intensity measurements (Bragg diffraction and Brewster’s angle).
- Long-Arm Goniometer: For easy setup and alignment. The built-in degree and millimeter scales ensure accurate measurements.
- Magnetic Mounting: All components mount magnetically. Setup is quick and accurate.
- Durable Construction: Parts are made of stainless steel or die-cast aluminum.
- Microwave Accessory Package Included: Includes a polyethylene panel for measuring Brewster’s angle and a simulated crystal for Bragg diffraction experiments.
|Parts Available Separately||P/N||Price|