Use to view high energy alpha particles, lower energy beta particles, and electrons produced by gamma rays interacting with gas molecules.
See the Product Description for this item's included accessories.
See the Buying Guide for this item's required, recommended, and additional accessories.
The Diffusion Cloud Chamber is used to view high energy alpha particles, lower energy beta particles, and electrons produced by gamma rays interacting with gas molecules. The Chamber allows for the viewing of cosmic rays without the need for dry ice or external illumination.
- Powered by 12V DC power adapter
- Built-in LED lamps for illuminating the particle trails
- Uses ice water instead of dry ice
- Water circulation pump
- Built-in high voltage (~800V) power supply for clearing the chamber of unwanted ions
How It Works
The bottom of the chamber is cooled by circulating ice water through the base and further cooling it to -35°C with a Peltier device. Alcohol placed in the chamber wicks up the inside chamber lining where it evaporates in the warmer region of the chamber and diffuses downward. The alcohol vapor is then cooled near the chamber bottom and becomes super saturated.
As energetic alpha and beta particles from a radioactive source pass through the alcohol vapor, the vapor condenses, forming droplets that appear as tracks in the strong chamber cross-lighting.
- 1x Cloud Chamber
- 1x 12 VDC Power Adapter (6 A)
- 1x Water Circulation Pump
- 1x Two Rubber Hoses
- 1x Extraction Pipette
- 1x Source Holder and Stopper
- 1x High Voltage Connection Cable
- 1x SpecTech™ Coupon for Pb-210 Source Needle
Radioactive Source Disclaimer
Local, national, and international regulations may restrict the purchase, storage, transport, use or disposal of radioactive sources. Please consult your local regulations to ensure your compliance before you purchase radioactive sources.
- PASCO advertised sources are direct shipped to customers from Spectrum Techniques (www.spectrumtechniques.com). Please review their "Terms and Conditions" page before purchasing.
- Once shipped, purchased sources are "Non-Cancellable" and "Non-Returnable". Radioactive sources cannot be returned under any circumstances including "End of Life" disposal.
- PASCO generally advertised sources are USNRC License Exempt (US only).
- International exempt sources (per the International Atomic Energy Agency) are available for international customers or by request.
|Diameter||15 cm 12 VDC Power Adapter (6 A)|
|Water Circulation Pump||120 V/ 60 Hz, 3 W, 180 liter/hr|
|Built-in High Voltage Source||~800 VDC with 108 Ω protection resistor|
|Rubber Hoses||0.25” ID (6.4 mm ID), 60 cm long|
|High Voltage Connection Cable||22 cm long, Banana plug to ring lug Eight Amber LEDs|
|The Needle Source is USNRC License Exempt (US only) Pb-210 Source Needle||SE-7945||$46|