Featured in PASCO’s Physics through Inquiry Teacher Guide
Features over 30 inquiry based labs covering the core topic areas of mechanics, electricity and magnetism, optics, thermodynamics and more.
Series & Parallel Circuits
Use a voltage sensor and current sensor to explore the properties of both series and parallel circuits.
This lab explores the properties of both series and parallel circuits by:
- Measuring both circuit voltage and current while altering the voltage for a given circuit and evaluating how those measurements are related.
- Finding the equivalent resistance of a circuit for both series and parallel resistors.
Students will gain experience conducting the following procedures:
- Setting up series and parallel circuits according to an electrical schematic.
- Using an ammeter and voltmeter to measure current and voltage in a circuit.
- Identifying resistors and their stated (color-coded) resistance (optional).
Sensors / Equipment Used:
Allows students to safely measure voltage and current simultaneously without overloading the sensor. For use with PASPORT Interfaces.
Alligator clip adapters (optional) ~ 10
DC power supply, 10 V, 1 A minimum
Patch cord, 4 mm banana plug ~ 10
Resistors, at least 3 different known values ~ 3 to 6
Switch, single-pole single-throw ~ 1
Your Bundle Options:
A sensor bundle specifically designed to get you started using probeware in your physics lab. Also: perform 26 of the 37 Lab Activities from Physics through Inquiry.
Contains the probeware needed to perform all 37 lab activities in the Physics through Inquiry lab manual.