Features 23 core lab activities that cover the fundamental concepts of Force & Motion, Energy Transfer, Electricity & Circuits, Fluids and more.
Observing Freezing Point Depression
Use a temperature sensor to investigate the effect of solid- liquid transitions on the temperature of ice water solutions.
Students investigate the effect of temperature changes on the transition from liquid to solid states of matter. Using the temperature sensor, students graph the cooling curves of pure water and at least one solution. They then use the graphs to identify relationships they see in the temperature patterns.
Students investigate water and water solutions during a phase change from liquid to solid (water to ice) while they:
- Understand that energy is a property of many substances and is associated with heat, light, electricity, mechanical motion, and the nature of a chemical
- Realize that heat moves in predictable ways, flowing from warmer objects to cooler objects, until both reach the same temperature
- Observe effects and changes in the characteristic properties of water such as freezing point and density
- Gain skills and confidence in using scientific measurement tools, the temperature and pressure sensors, as well as the graphing capability of a computer to represent data
Students gain experience conducting the following procedures:
- Setting up the equipment to measure the change in temperature as water cools
- Determining how the temperature of tap water changes as the water changes phase from liquid to solid
- Determining how the temperature of a solution of tap water and salt or sugar changes as it changes phase from liquid to solid
Sensors / Equipment Used:
Allows students to measure Temperature, pH/ISE/ORP, Absolute Pressure & Voltage in one sensor. For use with PASPORT Interfaces.
Your Bundle Options:
Equipment bundle for teaching 23 Middle School Physical Science Teacher Guide labs.
This bundle contains the probeware needed to perform all 49 lab activities in the Middle School Science through Inquiry lab manual.