Features 13 core activities covering the fundamental topics of weather & climate, seismology & topography, soil properties and more.
Water, the Universal Solvent
Use a conductivity sensor to classify substances based on their ability to dissolve in water and measure the changes in the conductivity of water as substances dissolve in it.
In this activity, students:
- Classify substances based on their ability to dissolve in water
- Measure the changes in the conductivity of water as substances dissolve in it
- Relate water's ability to dissolve different substances to some geological formations
Students gain experience conducting the following procedures:
- Dissolving a variety of substances in water
- Observing the solvent and solute as the dissolving process occurs
- Setting up the equipment and work area to measure the level of conductivity in different solutions
- Measuring the conductivity level of three different solutions
Sensors / Equipment Used:
Utilizes platinum probes for greater range and improved accuracy in high & low concentrations.
The Associated Bundle:
This bundle contains the probeware needed to perform all 49 lab activities in the Middle School Science through Inquiry lab manual.