Featured in PASCO’s College Biology Instructor Guide
College Instructor edition with 26 experiments covering introductory and general biology topics.
Genetics & Biotech
Use restriction endonuclease digests and agarose gel electrophoresis to diagnose an inherited mitochondrial disease.
**Requires Mitochondrial DNA Kit (BP-6946)**
This mitochondrial genetics lab uses molecular techniques to answer a question about how a mitochondrial disease is inherited and diagnosed. The lab consists of two essential activities: pedigree construction from patient case histories, and molecular analysis of a point mutation in the mitochondrial genome. Students:
- Use restriction endonuclease digests and agarose gel electrophoresis to diagnose an inherited mitochondrial disease.
- Construct pedigrees from patient case histories and correlate patterns of inheritance with molecular diagnosis.
- Investigate the relationship between mitochondrial DNA and nuclear DNA in the synthesis of the protein complexes of the electron transport chain.
Students will gain experience conducting the following procedures:
- Analyzing the products of a restriction digest by gel electrophoresis to detect a point mutation in the mitochondrial genome.
- Constructing pedigrees from patient family histories to determine the pattern of inheritance of a genetic disease.
- Gathering evidence from both the molecular diagnosis and pedigree construction to confirm the diagnosis of a genetic disease.
Sensors / Equipment Used:
Mitochondrial Genetics Kit for studying genetics and biotechnology.
1X TBE buffer - 300 to 400 mL
Adjustable micropipet (2 to 20 ul)
Agarose or pre-cast 1.5% agarose gels
Disposable gloves - 1 pair
Electronic Balance - 1 per class
Horizontal gel electrophoresis box and power supply
Loading buffer/dye (in 1.5-mL microcentrifuge tube) - 8 uL
Methylene blue DNA stain - 100 mL
Microcentrifuge (optional) - 1 per class
Microcentrifuge tube, 1.5-mL - 6
Molecular weight marker (in 1.5-mL microcentrifuge tube) - 12 uL
Sterile, disposable micropipet tips - 10
The Associated Bundle:
A complete probeware bundle designed for PASCO's College Biology curriculum