Featured in PASCO’s Chemistry through Inquiry Teacher Guide
Features over 25 inquiry based labs covering the fundamental concepts of lab skills, structure & properties of matter, chemical reactions and more.
Use a stainless steel temperature sensor to determine the effects of molecular size and shape on the strength of intermolecular forces for different alcohols within the same homologous series and between isomeric pairs.
Students determine the effects of molecular size and shape on the strength of intermolecular forces for different alcohols within the same homologous series and between isomeric pairs. Through this investigation, students:
- Explain why evaporation causes a decrease in temperature.
- Describe the relationship between evaporation rate and the strength of intermolecular forces of attraction among molecules.
- Describe the relationship between the size of molecules in a homologous series and the strength of intermolecular forces of attraction between them.
- Describe the influence the shape of a molecule has on its vapor pressure by comparing the evaporation rates of two isomeric alcohol pairs.
Students conduct the following procedures:
- Graph temperature versus time data for five alcohols from the same homologous series and two pairs of isomeric alcohols as they evaporate from a stainless steel temperature sensor.
- Compare the rate of evaporation for the seven alcohols to determine the relative strengths of the intermolecular forces of attraction.
Sensors / Equipment Used:
PASPORT Chemistry Sensor
Allows students to measure Temperature, pH/ISE/ORP, Absolute Pressure & Voltage in one sensor. For use with PASPORT Interfaces.
Graduated cylinder, 10-mL
Test tube, 15-mm × 100-mm - 7
Test tube rack
Stopper to fit test tube - 7
Wash bottle and waste container
Masking tape, 6-cm strips - 2
Methanol - 5 mL
Ethanol - 5 mL
Propanol - 5 mL
Butanol - 5 mL
Pentanol - 5 mL
2-Propanol - 5 mL
2-Butanol - 5 mL
Your Bundle Options:
A sensor bundle specifically designed to get you started using probeware in your chemistry lab. Also: perform 22 Lab Activities from Chemistry through Inquiry teacher guide.
Contains the sensors and probes needed to perform all 17 experiments in the Advanced Chemistry Teacher Guide and all 25 labs in the Chemistry through Inquiry Guide.