Featured in PASCO’s Biology through Inquiry Teacher Guide
Features 25 inquiry based labs covering the fundamental concepts of cell biology, ecology and physiology.
Organisms & pH
Use a pH sensor to determine how effective various substances are at buffering large changes in pH.
Students explore pH and its impact on biological organisms by:
- Determining the importance of pH and the use of chemical buffers to organisms.
- Indicating the effects of pH on the function of biological molecules and other various common compounds.
Students gain experience by conducting the following procedures:
- Test changes in pH after adding a variety of substances to a solution.
- Test the effects of buffers on the pH of substances.
- Analyze the results and apply to living systems and organisms.
Sensors / Equipment Used:
Has a wide measurement range of 0 to 14 pH. Has a resolution of 0.01 pH. For use with PASPORT Interfaces.
Beaker (6), 50-mL
Erlenmeyer flask (2), 1-L
Graduated cylinder, 10-mL
Disposable pipets (2)
Your Bundle Options:
A sensor bundle specifically designed to get you started using probeware in your biology lab. Also: perform 10 of the 24 Lab Activities from Biology with Inquiry.
The Biology Standard Sensor Bundle includes a photosynthesis tank and the sensors required to perform 19 of the 24 Lab Activities in the Biology through Inquiry manual.