Featured in PASCO’s Biology through Inquiry Teacher Guide
Features 25 inquiry based labs covering the fundamental concepts of cell biology, ecology and physiology.
Use a pH sensor to explore the permeability of a cell-like membrane to hydrogen (H+) and hydroxide (OH-) ions. Observe that not all materials are able to pass through the membrane.
This activity is designed to provide students with an understanding of semi-permeable membranes. Students:
- Explore the permeability of a cell-like membrane to hydrogen (H+) and hydroxide (OH–) ions.
- Observe that not all materials are able to pass through the membrane.
Students gain experience conducting the following procedures:
- Measuring the change in pH in water when a dialysis tubing bag (representing a cell membrane) filled with either a strong acid or strong base is immersed in the water.
- Calculating the rate of change of pH per minute.
- Observing whether starch can permeate the membrane.
Sensors / Equipment Used:
Has a wide measurement range of 0 to 14 pH. Has a resolution of 0.01 pH. For use with PASPORT Interfaces.
The Large Base and Support Rod includes built-in leveling screws and an aluminum rod that is 12.7 mm (1/2 in.) in diameter and 45 cm long.
A "must-have" piece of lab equipment when doing titration experiments.
The V-shaped, plastic-coated jaws will gently hold a buret and lock at any angle.
0.1 M hydrochloric acid (HCL), 15 mL
0.1 M sodium hydroxide (NaOH), 15 mL
Dialysis Tubing, 15-cm length
Your Bundle Options:
A sensor bundle specifically designed to get you started using probeware in your biology lab. Also: perform 10 of the 24 Lab Activities from Biology with Inquiry.
The Biology Standard Sensor Bundle includes a photosynthesis tank and the sensors required to perform 19 of the 24 Lab Activities in the Biology through Inquiry manual.