Featured in PASCO’s Advanced Physics Teacher Guide
This manual features over 30 College Board curriculum and AP Physics exam inspired lab activities.
Use a balance and meter stick to determine the relationship between the mass and radius of disks of different radii and calculate the uncertainty associated with the measured values.
Given disks of different radii, students learn how to graphically determine the relationship between the mass and radius of the disks and how to calculate the uncertainty associated with the measured values.
- Measure the mass and radius of different sized disks.
- Graphically determine the relationship between the mass and radius of the disk.
- Calculate the uncertainty associated with measured values.
Students gain experience conducting the following procedures:
- Using a ruler to measure the radius of five disks of different radii but identical thickness and density.
- Measuring the mass of each disk using a balance.
- Plotting mass m versus the square of the radius r2 to produce a linear graph relating the mass of each disk to the measured radius.
- Using a line of best fit to determine the density of the disk material then comparing that value to the theoretical value provided by the teacher.
Circular disks with different radii - 5
Stainless Steel Caliper
The Associated Bundle:
This bundle contains the probeware needed to perform all 37 lab activities in the Advanced Physics lab manual.