Featured in PASCO’s Advanced Physics Teacher Guide
This manual features over 30 College Board curriculum and AP Physics exam inspired lab activities.
Index of Refraction
Use a basic optics kit to determine the index of refraction of a D-shaped acrylic lens.
Given a D-shaped acrylic lens with unknown index of refraction, experimentally determine a value for the correct index of refraction using the equipment provided and the necessary relevant equations.
- Build a fundamental understanding of Snell's law and how it applies to objects of different index of refraction.
- Implement linearization techniques to simply complex mathematical relationships.
Students gain experience conducting the following procedures:
- Setting up the light source so that it is incident upon the flat surface of the acrylic D-shaped lens.
- Rotating the lens and measuring the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction.
- Creating a linearized graph by plotting the sine of the refracted angles versus the sine of the incident angles.
- Using the slope of the graph to determine the index of refraction.
Sensors / Equipment Used:
A group of components designed to allow students conduct various optical experiments.
The Associated Bundle:
This bundle contains the probeware needed to perform all 37 lab activities in the Advanced Physics lab manual.