Teacher manual for Advanced Environmental and Earth Sciences labs. Has both the printed version and a flash drive with teacher tips, a PDF of teacher version and editable Word student version.
Photosynthesis & Respiration
Use an oxygen sensor, a carbon dioxide sensor, and a temperature sensor to demonstrate that a terrarium, as a closed system, is an excellent tool for conducting environmental studies and to design additional investigations on photosynthesis and cellular respiration.
Students demonstrate that a terrarium, a closed system, is an excellent tool for conducting environmental studies such as determining the rates of photosynthesis and cell respiration in plants. As part of this process, students:
- Learn to use this closed system to change one variable at a time, control other variables, and monitor multiple variables.
- Design additional investigations on photosynthesis and cellular respiration using the terrarium.
Students gain experience conducting the following procedures:
- Designing controlled investigations.
- Identifying the causes of the changes in the rates of O2 and CO2 gas concentration shown on the graphed results of these measurements.
- Using sensor technology to monitor independent and dependent experimental variables.
Sensors / Equipment Used:
MultiMeasure sensor that incorporates pH, conductivity, temperature, and the optical dissolved oxygen probe.
The PASPORT Carbon Dioxide Gas Sensor measures carbon dioxide concentration CO2 (parts per million) in gases such as air. Ideal for studies of photosynthesis, respiration, fermentation and more.
The Oxygen Gas Sensor accurately measures O2 concentration in the atmosphere or in enclosed spaces. Study animal, plant or cellular respiration, air quality, O2 production from chemical reactions and more.
A single polycarbonate chamber designed to integrate sensors for controlled-environment experiments such as fermentation and plant or cricket respiration.
Fast-growing, small, potted plant
Opaque cloth, about 1 m2
Strong incandescent or full spectrum fluorescent light source
USB hub (depending on data collection system)
The Associated Bundle:
Standard bundle for Advanced Environmental and Earth Sciences Teacher Guide,