Teacher manual for Advanced Environmental and Earth Sciences labs. Has both the printed version and a flash drive with teacher tips, a PDF of teacher version and editable Word student version.
Earth's Magnetic Field
Use a magnetic field sensor to visualize the magnetic field lines surrounding Earth.
Use models to visualize the magnetic field lines surrounding Earth. Through this activity, students:
- Describe the variations in magnetic field strength surrounding Earth
- Explain that the internal structure and composition of Earth’s core creates Earth’s magnetic field
- Discuss how Earth’s magnetic field is used by navigators
Students gain experience conducting the following procedures:
- Building a model compass.
- Visualizing the magnetic field generated by a bar magnet.
- Using a bar magnet as a model to understand the Earth’s magnetic field.
- Measuring the magnetic field of a bar magnet using a magnetic field sensor.
Sensors / Equipment Used:
Provides magnetic field measurement in a very compact package. For use with PASPORT Interfaces.
Degree wheel template
Magnetic field demonstrator plate, 2-D - 4
Map of Earth template
Clear plastic cup
Small cork (or a bit of polystyrene)
Water - 500 mL
The Associated Bundle:
Standard bundle for Advanced Environmental and Earth Sciences Teacher Guide,