Heat Transfer in Fluids
Featured in PASCO’s Middle School Science Teacher Guide
Students investigate what happens to the temperature of a solution when two substances of different temperatures are mixed.
Students investigate the mixing of substances at different temperatures while they:
- Develop the understanding that energy is a property of many substances and is associated with heat, light, electricity, mechanical motion, and the nature of a chemical.
- Recognize that heat can be transferred through a fluid.
- Learn that heat moves in predictable ways, flowing from warmer objects to cooler objects, until both reach the same temperature.
- Gain skills and confidence in using scientific measurement tools, the temperature and pressure sensors, as well as the graphing capability of a computer to represent and analyze data.
Students gain experience conducting the following procedures:
- Setting up the equipment and work area to measure the temperature of three samples of water.
- Measuring the temperature of a sample of cold water.
- Measuring the temperature of a sample of hot water.
- Measuring the temperature of a mixture of equal volumes of cold and hot water after mixing them.
- Using math skills to average temperatures.
Sensors / Equipment Used
SPARK Science Learning System (PS-2008A)
An all-in-one mobile device that seamlessly integrates the power of probeware with inquiry-based content.
Allows students to see changes in temperature they could never see before. For use with PASPORT and ScienceWorkshop Interfaces.
Graduated cylinder, 250-mL
Beakers or cups, 150-mL - 2
Hot water - 125 mL
Cold water - 125 mL
Red and blue food dyes (optional) - 2 to 4 drops
Your Bundle Options:
Middle School Science Starter Sensor Bundle (PS-2924C)
A sensor bundle specifically designed to get you started using probeware in your middle school science lab. Also: perform 37 of the 49 Lab Activities from Middle School Science through Inquiry Teacher Guide.
Middle School Science Standard Sensor Bundle (PS-2933A)
This bundle contains the probeware needed to perform all 49 lab activities in the Middle School Science through Inquiry lab manual.