Graphing Mass vs Volume
Featured in PASCO’s Chemistry through Inquiry Teacher Guide
Chemistry through Inquiry Teacher Guide (PS-2871C)
This manual features over 25 inquiry based labs covering the fundamental concepts of chemistry.
Use multiple mass and volume data to graphically determine the density of a substance.
Use multiple mass and volume data to graphically determine the density of a substance. Through this investigation, students:
- Learn the process of graphing data, including scale selection, axis labeling, descriptive titling, and plotting data points.
- Determine trends in the data by mathematically describing the lines that best fit the data, particularly linear relationships (y = mx + b) and directly proportional relationships (y = mx).
- Discover that slope and y-intercept have meaning.
- Identify variables as either independent or dependent
Students conduct the following procedures:
- Calculate the volume of cubes and cylinders.
- Determine the mass of various objects.
- Plot both the mass and volume data of various objects on the same graph.
- Determine the mathematical relationship between the data.
Sensors / Equipment Used
Discover Density Set (SE-9719A)
A set of 22 separate pieces allow students to discover the relationship between density, volume, and dimensions.
Balance - 2 or 3 per class
Metric ruler (or calipers)
The Associated Bundle:
Chemistry Standard Sensor Bundle (PS-2927C)
Contains the sensors and probes needed to perform the 17 experiments in the Advanced Chemistry Teacher Guide and 22 labs in the Chemistry through Inquiry Guide.