Simple Harmonic Motion and Pendulums
Featured in PASCO’s Advanced Physics Teacher Guide
Advanced Physics Teacher Guide (PS-2879C)
This manual features over 30 College Board curriculum and AP Physics exam inspired lab activities.
Use a photogate and pendulum to determine earth's gravitational acceleration.
Using a simple pendulum, design and conduct an experiment to determine earth's gravitational acceleration through a graphical method.
- Explore the basic mathematical concept and behavior of a simple pendulum.
- Using the theory and mathematical relationships involving a simple pendulum, determine an experimental value for earth's gravitational acceleration.
Students gain experience conducting the following procedures:
- Measuring the pendulum arm length and period for several different pendulum arm lengths while holding the bob mass constant.
- Plotting pendulum period versus square root of arm length to create a linear relationship.
- Using a line of best fit whose slope is equal to 2π/√g to extrapolate a value for the acceleration due to gravity.
Sensors / Equipment Used
PASPORT Digital Adapter (PS-2159)
The Digital Adapter allows ScienceWorkshop analog sensors to be connected and used with PASPORT interfaces.
Photogate Pendulum Set (ME-8752)
Set of four pendula (brass, plastic, wood, and aluminum) that are ideal for timing experiments with photogates.
Photogate Head (ME-9498A)
Monitors the motion of objects passing through its gate, counting events as the object breaks the infrared beam. For use with PASPORT and ScienceWorkshop Interfaces.
Base and Support Rod (ME-9355)
Provides a level base for basic lab experiments.
Pendulum Clamp (ME-9506)
Hang up to three pendula from precisely the same height.
The Associated Bundle
Advanced Physics Standard Sensor Bundle (PS-2932B)
This bundle contains the probeware needed to perform all 37 lab activities in the Advanced Physics lab manual.
This product is orderable but not currently shipping, check back for deliverable date